Saturday, October 1, 2011

My first Craigslist purchase!


 My oldest daughter, "M", recently moved into a house with a couple of her friends, so she needed furniture.  I scoured garage sales, thrift stores and craigslist collecting "goodies" and enjoyed every minute of it.  One thing she needed was a desk for her bedroom.  I had a vision of what I was looking for, which was mainly nothing too bulky.  I looked everywhere!  Then, BAM, I found this beautiful desk on craigslist.  





I made a mad dash to the city the next day to pick it up.  I was a little hesitant about the top of the desk, because it was laminate that looked like wood.  At first, I was concerned about how the paint would adhere to laminate, but remembered I was using Annie Sloan Chalk Paint, so no worries!!





I took off all of the awesome hardware...








and began painting it using Annie Sloan's Louis Blue.




That is the laminated top I was hesitant about.




Here is the desk with one coat of paint.  (I nearly always use two coats of ASCP.)




Two coats!  Ready for distressing.  (Do you see other projects in the background???  I'll be posting about those soon....I've just got to figure out how to reupholster that chair!!!  
See the before pictures of it here.) 





Let the sanding begin!  I sand in areas that the paint would normally get worn off over time, such as corners and legs.  I prefer to do most of my sanding prior to putting on the wax.  However, I know of some people who wax first, then sand.  Do what you like best!  




Then I began distressing it even more with clear and dark wax.





I wanted more for the desk.  So on certain elements on the desk, I brushed on ASCP Old White, using an almost dry brush.  I did not care about being exact either.  Once dry, I used clear and dark wax over the 
Old White.




Here it is all finished!  The coloring in some of the pictures make it look a little purply.  (Is that a word?)  The previous picture is closer to the true color of the desk.  Ohhh, I also took the brass drawer pulls and dry brushed on some ASCP Old White to soften them up too. 





I LOVE the way this desk was transformed, and it was so easy!  Most importantly, "M" loved it too!!  (Really...it's not so purply!  I need a new camera!!)



It's been awhile since I have been able to blog, so it's nice to be back!!! I've been busy being a wife, mom and daughter to my wonderful family.  In my spare time I've been painting furniture and working on a new adventure!  Can't wait until I can share it with you guys!!!
Until next time......



Blessings........
Bizzi B



No comments:

Post a Comment